Friday, September 26, 2008

Art of Detached Indulgence

Should you be detached or indulgent?

Renounce or Celebrate?

Withdraw or participate?

Jump in or Run away?

We look at Carlos Castenada's Don Juan:
People hardly ever realize that we can cut anything from our lives, any time, just like that. For example, smoking and drinking are nothing. Nothing at all if we want to drop them. Only one thing is indispensable for anything we do; the spirit. One can't do without the spirit.

I have no routines or personal history. One day I found out that they were no longer necessary for me and, like drinking, I dropped them. One must have the desire to drop them and then one must proceed harmoniously to chop them off, little by little. If you have no personal history, no explanations are needed; nobody is angry or disillusioned with your acts. And above all no one pins you down with their thoughts. It is best to erase all personal history because that makes us free from the encumbering thoughts of other people. I have, little by little, created a fog around me and my life. And now nobody knows for sure who I am or what I do. Not even I. How can I know who I am, when I am all this?
Little by little you must create a fog around yourself; you must erase everything around you until nothing can be taken for granted, until nothing is any longer for sure, or real. Your problem now is that you're too real. Your endeavors are too real; your moods are too real. Don't take things so for granted. You must begin to erase yourself.
Mumbo Jumbo? Does it make sense? Can we call it the Art of Detached Indulgence?

6 comments:

Krishna. N. C. said...

My Dear Amarji,
Beautiful and a very insightful post as always :)You always seem to awaken the sometimes Sleepy-me ;))
I am all for the Art of Detached Indulgence, difficult but worth trying!
So often we are so involved with the happenings of daily life and one of them happens to be taking countless number of things, people and God's Gifts for gifts for granted. Erasing our indulgences with our mindfulness ultimately yearning to become Nothing is what the Mystics have urged us to do.
Thank you so much for sharing this beautiful post Amarji. You always lighten up my soul :)
Sending you lots of love and prayers.

P.S. Hopefully returning to blogging once again by next week, thanks to your goodwishes and support:)

Amarendra said...

Thanks, Krishna for your appreciation, love and prayers! Your gracious expression creates magic wherever it leaves its print;-) Its truly special to receive your comments! Looking forward to have you back in the blog world!

The Literary Jewels said...

Such words set me thinking about life in general and about mine in particular. You have presented beautiful and meaningful thoughts in your post about 'erasing oneself' and 'creating a fog around oneself', then only can we ensure that we are not taken for granted.
Nice words!

Amarendra said...

Thanks, Amritbir, for your acknowledgment!

It is exhilarating to receive appreciation from a 'Literary' expert!

Be around, hope to see more of you!

I have read your posts and will continue to follow them closely;-)

Your latest one is a gem!

Anonymous said...

Hey...have u detached yourself from your blog too? :-)

Amarendra said...

Dear Anonymous!

Bang On!

To see more detachments and indulgences visit http://sourceofalllife.blogspot.com

Thanks for asking:-))